Info on Candidates

At the moment Washington Post's website has extensive information on all candidates including voting records. That is why you see their widget below. Feel free to complain to me about this: AmericanDreamSMASHED@gmail.com

Washington Post Coverage

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Facts Hurt

When Mary Poppins sang "just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down," she meant a spoonful of "comedy."

This is why The Daily Show and A Daily Show are needed: so we can digest the factual medicine that tastes so damn bad. Jon Stewart is more a chaser* than the actual shot of whiskey [I mean medicine (I mean facts**)].


You may say: "K8, facts are boring," or
"the only facts I need are the prices of a quarter of the good stuff and an ounce of schwag" or
"facts are scary."

Well, in my language those translate to:
"facts bore the shit out of me,"
"facts distract the shit out of me" and
"facts scare the shit out of me."

Obviously, this is the explanation for the "shits" you may be suffering after watching CNN. Not being a doctor, I feel I cannot even speculate on the tragic state of the human existence after watching C-SPAN.

While most TV news programs cause this severe side effect of diarrhea, the others rapidly shove suppositories up our asses. Jon and his writers soothe the nation as we "come to" in a daze wondering why our asses hurt.

I salute not only Jon, but his predecessors such as the brilliant anchors of "Weekly Update" on Saturday Night Live that I grew up watching. And what the hell, the not-so-brilliant ones, too. (You didn't think I was going to mention Kilborn, did you?) (Well I'm not.) (I mean I didn't.) (I will have not.)

(I like the parenthetical thing***.)

Here you go, fellow Americans: a blog by an employed 24 year old pothead chick who watches The Daily Show and VOTES****.

I will tell you that I have dreams for this blog. Great big American Dreams. I believe the American Dream is different for each of us, but Eddie Izzard came close to summing it up in Dress to Kill when he said "You have the American Dream; the dream is to be born in the gutter, and raise, and grow up and get all the money in the world and stick it in your ears and go ( blows raspberry )"*****

No, really...

I have a question: Is all of this really that much more important than my current personal problem?

Current Personal Problem: I am tired.

Answer: NO!

Reasoning: While I would love to go into the actual mission that drove me to my computer in the middle of the night, leading me to post a blog 12 hours later, I am really just too tired. I can't type if I am falling asleep on the keyboard, and my guts are telling me that I have accomplished my first blog post already- without the mumbo-jumbo history lesson. "The American Dream SMASHED" will need to be explained later.

Sincerely (maybe),
-K8-




-Enjoy my footnotes: I do!-

*My chaser of choice was always Dr. Pepper. Unless I was pregnant- then it was unsweet ice tea.

**In reference to those who postulate that young people get their news from Stewart: http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/03/02/apontv.stewarts.stature.ap/
http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/4159.html

***"Way too Much. The parenthetical thing's gettin' old." -Jon Stewart from http://jon.happyjoyfun.net/pics_ae/esquire/jon1.jpg

****http://www.cafepress.com/buy/daily+show/-/pv_design_details/pg_1/id_14945238/opt_/fpt_/c_666/

*****http://thedougler.podomatic.com/******

******I like asterisks, too.

No comments: